How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34124
Experience:  25 years experience of all aspects of family law
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex- husband has suddenly stopped paying maintenance of £250

This answer was rated:

My ex- husband has suddenly stopped paying maintenance of £250 a month. He stopped paying when my daughter turned 16. When I asked why he had stopped he said that he no longer had to pay. The maintenance was agreed between ourselves and was not set up by the CSA although the CSA were involved some years ago but when he saw how much he was expected to pay we came to an arrangement between us instead. I have contacted the CSA who have advised me to close the old case which would have had to have been recalculated because of changes in his circumstances. I am now waiting 13 weeks until I can open a new case. He currently owes me £750 and by the time the new case is sorted substantially more. I am struggling without the money can I try to claim it back in the small claims court?
Thank you for your question I shall do my best to help you.
I am so very sorry but sadly the agreement that you reached with your ex was not enforceable and you will not be able to recover the money that
he has not paid.
I am sorry to give you such bad news - but please ask if you need further clarification
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34124
Experience: 25 years experience of all aspects of family law
Clare and other UK Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

I'm Fran, and I’m a moderator for this topic.
We have been working with the professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Cars, Finance, Law, to Home Improvement, and more.

Thank you,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I think the answer I received is probably it. I have bank statements and a signed but undated letter which proves how much he used to pay but there is no legally binding agreement. I am so angry with myself , why did I take pity on him when the CSA got involved. Why did I agree for him to pay a lesser amount without them being involved! My being reasonable and doing what I thought was best for my daughter and for him has cost me approximately £2500. Gutted!

Please do not berate yourself for being a reasonable person and a good mother - both are positive traits!