How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34121
Experience:  25 years experience of all aspects of family law
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

This question is about claiming CSA in the UK from my ex-boyfriend

This answer was rated:

This question is about claiming CSA in the UK from my ex-boyfriend for our newborn daughter. I understand that he should be assessed to pay 15% of his net income from his full-time job. However, he does occasional freelance work - writing for a website a couple of times a month whenever they ask him. This would increase his monthly income by about £300-£400 a month. How can I make sure the CSA takes this freelance source on income into account in addition to his full-time job? What if he doesn't declare it to the CSA? I have the address/phone of the website that uses him as a freelancer
Thank you for your question I shall do my best to assist you.
Once the CSA have completed the first assessment you can ask for a re-assessment based on the fact that he has additional income (assuming of course that he has not declared it)
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further information
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

What does CSA have the power to do if he hasn't declared this additional freelance income? Assuming he has to declare it to HMRC for tax purposes, does the CSA check with HMRC to find out his true income? Or do they simply take his word for what he declares to the CSA?

The CSA can indeed get information form HMRC - and do!
Clare and 2 other UK Family Law Specialists are ready to help you