How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34274
Experience:  25 years experience of all aspects of family law
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, I split up with my partner (not married) two years ago.

Customer Question


I split up with my partner (not married) two years ago. We were able to sort out arrangements without any court re our children. Now aged 4 and 7.
We share custody 50/50. I have them Monday, Weds, Friday one week and Monday, Weds, Saturday Sunday the next. It is a full 50/50 split. We share holidays, sick days and everything else 50/50.

She has met a new partner and is talking about possibly moving, around 40 miles away. Reasoning for the move has not currently been shared. She is under no financial pressure. There is no financial dispute between us.

Would this be allowed to happen?

Is there anything I should be doing to safeguard my childrens stability?

Hopefully it won't get into a legal dispute but I would just like to be covered should it go down that route.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question I shall do my best to assist you.
Given the shared care arrangement that you have in place then the issue of a move is one that you can ask the court to deal with by applying for a Prohibited Steps Order to stop any change of school until matters have been properly discussed
Indeed given the fully shared nature of the care it is unlikely that the court will agree a move unless there is a clear need for your ex to move - and even then there is of course the possibility that they will then reside with you and remain in their current school
You should try and discuss the matter with your ex using Family Mediation (
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further information