How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stuart J Your Own Question
Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 22624
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Stuart J is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, I am in the UK and I am separated from my Husband. He

This answer was rated:

Hello, I am in the UK and I am separated from my Husband. He left in November and went back to his own property which was rented out previously. I remain in my property which we lived in although he did not contribute to anything and we continue to hold separate accounts.
My question is, that I feel totally unprepared as this was a huge shock for him to leave having only been married for 6 months previously when he left.
If he issues divorce papers, which I think he is doing, do I have to agree to this? I feel so pressured to do this and I don't think this is fair.
Hello, I am Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor in a High Street practice. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects. Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes. Please bear with me in that case

It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me while I gather some further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully.

Unless I have all the facts that I need, my answer would not be accurate.

Were you married in the UK?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes I was married in the UK

How long were you together before you
married? What is it that is unfair? Why did he leave? Do you have children? Do
you mean whether you have to agree to the divorce? Is the marital home in joint
names or just not your name? Why would you not want to agree to it? What are
you looking to achieve?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

We were together for 7 years before we married. Living together for four years before marriage. We have no children. Officially it is a very clean divorce - he says he doesn't want anything of mine i.e. pensions etc.


The reason I don't want to divorce yet is that I feel pressured into doing it. Emotionally I do not feel at all ready.


Marital home is in my name only.


My main point is that I simply want more time to accept. I guess this is not possible.

When were you actually married?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

One year and 3 months ago

Although this is in danger of
becoming a counselling matter rather than a legal matter have you actually
tried discussing this with your husband because your emotional welfare is
unlikely to make much difference with regard to the actual divorce.

You cannot delay it simply
because you want more time to think about it.

On what grounds is he divorcing

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your responses. Yes, I have asked him to hold on until I am more comfortable. But thank you - you have answered my question - the answer is no and I will accept that.



Glad to help.

I am happy to follow up any individual
point you make

I am online and off-line each day and
most weekends so please bear with me if I do not come back to you within

Please don't forget to positively rate
my answer service (even if it was not what you want to hear). If you don't rate
it positively, then the site keep your deposit and I get 0 for my time. It is
imperative that you give my answer a positive rating. It doesn't give me "a pat
on the head", "good boy" (like ebay), it is my livelihood!

If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little,
please ask. Thank you.


Stuart J, Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 22624
Experience: PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
Stuart J and 2 other UK Family Law Specialists are ready to help you