How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stuart J Your Own Question
Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 22624
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Stuart J is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can i stop my sons father having access to him? he has seen

This answer was rated:

Can i stop my sons father having access to him? he has seen him once this year for an 1hour and only bothers when he has nothing to do.
He doesn't pay any maintenance and only saw my son a handful of times last year.
Hello, I am Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor in a High Street practice. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects. Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes. Please bear with me in that case

It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me while I gather some further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully.

Unless I have all the facts that I need, my answer would not be accurate.

How old is your son?

Do you have a contact order in place?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.


My son is 3 years old, there is no contact order in place


Why do you want to stop him having access?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

he only wants to know him when he has nothing to do - hes seen him once this year.


Not interested in him when he does see him.

My son doesnt even know who he is!


I'm sorry but the payment of
maintenance or not is not grounds to refuse contact and it is something that
you should take up with the CSA.

It is unlikely that the court would
refuse contact purely because the father is unreliable.

Of course, if you simply do not allow
it to take place, your ex is then faced with making a court application which
he may not want to pay for however I cannot advise that course of action. There
is no legal aid for him as it finished in April this year for matters such as

As it is so infrequent does it really
make that much difference and is it worth worrying about having a court
application and having the expense when it is unlikely that you would actually
get the order in any event.

You could apply to court for a defined
contact order to specify when he sees your son but there is no guarantee that
he was keep to that schedule. A court will not order a reluctant parent to be a
willing one

I'm sorry, I appreciate that this is
not the answer you wanted but there is no point in me misleading you.

Does that answer the question? Can I
assist any further?

I am happy to follow up any individual
point you make

I am online and off-line each day and
most weekends so please bear with me if I do not come back to you within

Please don't forget to positively rate
my answer service (even if it was not what you want to hear). If you don't rate
it positively, then the site keep your deposit and I get 0 for my time. It is
imperative that you give my answer a positive rating. It doesn't give me "a pat
on the head", "good boy" (like ebay), it is my livelihood!

If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little,
please ask. Thank you.

Stuart J and 2 other UK Family Law Specialists are ready to help you