How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7609
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been living with my girlfriend for 2years in a property

This answer was rated:

I have been living with my girlfriend for 2years in a property in the UK that is owned by me. My girlfriend makes no contribution to the costs of living in the home or to our joint living costs. She has a passive income from properties she owns and a share and bond portfolio. If we split up is the home or indeed any of my other assets at risk from a claim from my girlfriend. There are no legal or other documents describing our financial affairs.

Thanks for your patience.

If it is the case that you are unmarried with no children of the relationship and she has not made a capital contribution to it (ie. financing the purchase or pay for significant works which materially increase the value of the property) or maintained the mortgage payments/paid rent or bills/food to a total that is more than you would otherwise have paid in private rented accommodation in the area THEN she would not be able to claim an interest in the property.

Because you are not married she would only be able to claim an interest under the Trust of Land (Appointment of Trustees) Act, in order to do so she would have to prove one of the above to a substantial amount.

On this basis she would not be advised to pursue a claim against your property so you can relax a bit.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Family Law Specialists are ready to help you