How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7609
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A child born in South Africa with a British Citizen father

This answer was rated:

A child born in South Africa with a British Citizen father can you register the childs birth with the British Consulate
Hi, I am a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

continue searching I will wait for an answer, Thanks Jackie


Thank you for your patience. We will continue the search for a professional for you.

What is the date of birth of the child's father?

Where was the child's father born?

For what purpose do you wish to register with the consulate? To get a UK passport for the child?

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Tom the childs father was born on the 28.5.83 in Zambia and

registered at the British High Commission in Lusaka and obtained a british birth certificate as I ( his mother)

was born in England.


Yes the end game is to get a British passport for the child but also to know whether or not the child can be registered like the father.


Thanks for your patience.

I think by registration you mean registration as a UK citizen, rather than simply registering the birth (which is not possible).

Your son has obtained “citizenship by descent”. Generally this means that he can’t pass on his citizenship automatically in the same way you did.

The only way that the child would be entitled to register as a UK citizen is under s3(2) of the British Nationality Act 1981. In order to do so your son (the child’s father) must have lived in the UK for a period of three years at any time prior to the child’s birth. They must also not have left the UK during this three year period for longer than 270 days.

If this is the case then they can apply to register the child as a UK citizen and thereafter apply for a UK passport. Confirmation here:-

If they cannot do this then the child is not eligible to be registered at the present time and would instead have to apply for a visa in order to settle in the UK with the father.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7609
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and other UK Family Law Specialists are ready to help you