How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34277
Experience:  25 years experience of all aspects of family law
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, Im an indian citizen living in UK for the past five years.

This answer was rated:

Hi, I'm an indian citizen living in UK for the past five years. I have applied for divorce(under unreasonable behaviour) and the petition has been served twice via post and once via email, but my spouse(who is in India) hasn't responded. It has been eight months since the process started. What can be done Next? Please suggest
Thank you for your question.
I shall do my best to assist you but I need some further information first.
Do you have any evidence that your spouse has received the paperwork?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.



I do not have any proof's. But i'm 100% sure of the address & the email address is also the right one.

In that case I am afraid that your only option is to get a fresh set of papers and arrange for them to be personally served upon your spouse in India.
They will then need to provide a sworn statement confirming that your spouse has been served which you will send to the court.
You will then be able to move on with the divorce.
I hope that this is of assistance - please let me know if you need further clarification
Customer: replied 4 years ago.



Thanks very much. By serving fresh set of papers, do you mean serving a copy again using international process servers? And get a sworn statement from them? Please confirm.

Yes I mean get a further set of papers sealed by the court and get International Process Servers to serve it
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks a lot Claire. This information is very useful.

You are most welcome - I hope all goes well
Clare and other UK Family Law Specialists are ready to help you