Clare
Clare, Family Solicitor
Experience:  25 years experience of all aspects of family law
13262538

I have been to court for 4 hearings to get a residence order

Customer Question

I have been to court for 4 hearings to get a residence order for my son and now I have got to do a final hearing witness statement but Im not sure on how to write it. I have been representing myself because it is the social services who wanted me to put the application in for residence as my sons mother was putting the kids in harms way now instead of it been 50/50 care His mother only has him every second weekend. I have moved him schools doctors etc. The social have done 2 section 7 reports stating their concerns and facts which stretch 2.5 years (I never knew they were involved until last July as they didnt contact me) there recommendation is that he continues to live with me for his child hood and has alternate weekend contact with his mother

My question is what do I need to put in the report as it says it all in the reports
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Hi
Thank you for your question I will try to assist you.
From what you say you have an excellent chance of success - you are fully supported by Social Services and your child is well settled in your care.
However your ex is continuing the fight so your statement is important - it will stand as your main evidence at the hearing.
So it should start with a brief history of the relationship and how you came to have the child in your care.
Looking at the reports identify what your ex's arguments are going to be and deal with those issues clearly and carefully.
No emotions no accusations - just the facts as they are and the message that you need the court to hear
This is as good a guide as any I can find for you
http://www.separateddads.co.uk/how-write-your-statement-for-court.html
I hope that this is of assistance
Claire
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Claire,

Sorry for the late reply, ive been trying my best to do the starement but am still confused on what should actually go into it. .. I have done 2 totally different statements and not sure which one to file. Any chance I could send them to you for you to advise which one is best

Regards

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Claire,Sorry for the late reply, ive been trying my best to do the starement but am still confused on what should actually go into it. .. I have done 2 totally different statements and not sure which one to file. Any chance I could send them to you for you to advise which one is best Regards

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Hi
Of course you can.
I may not be online quite as regularly in the next few weeks - but I will check them and get back to you
Claire