How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34143
Experience:  25 years experience of all aspects of family law
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi. My ex has now got CSA involved in our situation. We came

Customer Question

Hi. My ex has now got CSA involved in our situation. We came to an agreement which was both fair and affordable for me. I take my son out on every occasion that I can when i'm not working..and spend money on him. More than what some dads do for their children. CSA are now demanding an amount out of me a month which is just not affordable, as I have to pay rent and live etc which isn't cheap these days. If it was in my choice, then I would have my son living here with me, but I never got that choice as she walked out on me for someone else and took my son with her. We also took a loan out for a car together,which we used to pay half each for, and i'm now left paying the whole loan on my own..due to her cancelling her half of the direct debit to my account. Because of her actions I can barely afford to live as it is, i do pay for my child each and every month and have never slipped up. I just really cant afford to pay what CSA are wanting from me and in all honestly, i'd rather buy my son clothes, toys, food, pay for school stuff and take him out etc rather than have to give her money to pay her bills. I don't see how that's fair and I'd like some professional advice what to do. Please help.
Thankyou. Tom
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
I will do my best to assist you but I need some further information first.
How much do you earn after tax and insurance and how much is the CSA assessment.
How many nights a week does the child spend with you and who now has the car?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no more than one night but i take him to and from school most days and ive got the car due to her being the one who left me with everything.The loan wasn't just for the car anyway, the loan was spent on other things which she now has.

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
And the figures?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

last month 1700 after tax and NI

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
And what is the assessment?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

250 pounds

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
I am so very sorry but unless you increase the number of nights that your son stays with you then the CSA assessment will remain the same
It is purely based on a percentage of your net income and there is no flexibility involved.
It is possible that if your ex realises that the extras that you currently pay for will no longer be available then she will close her claim but otherwise I am afraid that there is nothing that you can do

Related UK Family Law Questions