UK Family Law

UK Family Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

UK Family Law

Hi, I am in a process of getting divorced with my husband,

who has been abusive and...
Hi, I am in a process of getting divorced with my husband, who has been abusive and violent.
I have also applied for non molestation order and occupational order as his abusive behaviour escarated recent years.

Now he saids he wouldn't pay any bills as I am divorcing him - He has been paying most of the bills. He gets 39K per annum and I have just started new career as a beauty therapist and earn just about 800 pounds a month. I have been paying telephone, food and other shortfalls.

He saids he want to get our house reposessed so he can ruin my life.

I am thinking now that when non molestation/occupational order in place, he is going to have to move out of the house, then I will force to sell the house. Is it legal? Do I need his permission to sell the house? Me and my husband are joint owner of the house.
4/16/2013
James Mather
Please clarify that both names are XXXXX XXXXX deeds to the house?

Yes it is.

Thank you.

I am not certain what your question is.

However, I can tell you that if he moves out of the house he is not liable
for the bills or mortgage of a house that he does not live in although he may
be liable to pay some spousal maintenance under the terms of the divorce.

If you cannot afford to live in the house on your own, you cannot sell it
without his consent which, from the fact you give, he is unlikely to give. You
are therefore faced with applying to court for an order that the house is sold.

You do not say whether you have any children or not they can obviously
affect the situation so please let me know if you do have.

Can I help further?

Please bear with me today because I am online and off-line. Please don't
forget to positively rate my answer service (even if it was not what you want
to hear). If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and
I get 0 for my time. It is imperative that you give my answer a positive
rating. It doesn't give me "a pat on the head", "good boy" (like ebay), it is
my livelihood!

If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little,
please ask.

James Mather
James Mather
James Mather
James Mather