How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stuart J Your Own Question
Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 22624
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Stuart J is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been with a partner but not married for 10 years. Unfortunately

This answer was rated:

I have been with a partner but not married for 10 years. Unfortunately the relationship is breaking down. The house belongs to my partner, but was re-mortgaged for extensive renovation with me as the guarantor. Over the 10 years I have contributed 80% of the mortgage repayments. Where do I stand legally to recover this contribution?
How much are you hoping to recover?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

the full contribution (80%) would be nice, but at least 50% of the property value would be a minimum

If the property was jointly owned (which it isnt) you would get 50% regardless, if you hadn't agreed otherwise at outset.

However, it would depend on her agreeing he value of the contributions.

Will she offer more than 50%?

Do you have children?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

we have discussed 50% previously, but on tabulating the exact contributions I can see its more like 80/20 not 50/50. I want to secure at least 50% for my sons inheritance on her death. (I do not want for her to have to sell the property to pay off my share)

Am I best to use the 80% as a lever to persuade her to sign over 50%, or should I insist on a share that is comensurate with my contribution.


I have one son from a previous marriage

So are you proposing a separate deed of trust or for the property to be
transferred into joint names?

Are you breaking up or staying together? Would you/do you want to, go to
court on this?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

what is a deed of trust exactly?

A document jointly agreeing a percentage share in the property?


At the moment the break up seems inevitable, but either way I want to secure my son's inheritance.


I would only go to court if a fair and amicable agreement is not possible

Yes, that is what the trust does.

Basically it is a document which states that although the property is owned
by one person in particular, a percentage of it belongs to somebody else and
the owner (trustee) is "safekeeping" for the beneficiary.

If however your partner will not agree to sign an agreement or trust deed,
you are going to be faced with court and the inevitable cost of arguing your
contribution is worth.

Can I help further?

Please bear with me today because I am online and off-line. Please don't
forget to positively rate my answer service (even if it was not what you want
to hear). If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and
I get 0 for my time. It is imperative that you give my answer a positive
rating. It doesn't give me "a pat on the head", "good boy" (like ebay), it is
my livelihood!

If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little,
please ask.

Stuart J and other UK Family Law Specialists are ready to help you