How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34263
Experience:  25 years experience of all aspects of family law
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mother had a stroke on her 63rd birthday. After spending

Customer Question

My mother had a stroke on her 63rd birthday. After spending 6 months in hospital, She has managed for the last 9 years living at home and paying for carers to help her 3 times a day.
it has now come to the point where they can no longer do enough for her and she has had to move into a full time care home. My understanding is that if care is needed for Medical reasons then the care should be provided by the NHS, However, social services have told us that MUM has to pay herself. Please advise if this is the case, I am aware that until recently people have claimed back care costs against the NHS when they have been charged in error
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question I will do my best to assist.
This is not a simple area and it depends on whether your mother needs medical care - or social care - or both.
If she needs medical care - then that is the responsibility of the NHS.
If she needs social care - that is not.
If she needs both then the NHS will pay the medical care costs - but not the living (sometimes called "hotel") costs
There are various leaflets describing this
One is here
but other charities do similar ones which may assist
I hope that this is of help