How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i own my house so have no mortgage.

This answer was rated:

i own my house so have no mortgage.i have willed one third each to my daughters and kept the last third.can my girls use their third to get a mortgage

Can you explain what you mmena by "..willed one third to my daughters.."?

Do you mean that you have transferred the legal title in to the name of you and your daughters, or do you mean that in your Will you have specified that your house should go to your daughters upon your death~?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i went to the land registry and paid a fee to give them one third of my house each.i did this as im 66 and if i ever have to go into care they could only claim one third of the value for my care.everything will go to my girls when i die,i am widowed by the way.hope this helps


Thanks for your patience.

If you have transferred the registered legal title in to the names of your two children so that you and they each have a one third interest in the property then I’m afraid it’s not likely that they would be able to raise a mortgage.

This is because the lenders require that each person named on the registered title are included on the mortgage. This means you would have to be included on the mortgage. Because of your age, most lenders would not include you unless you have substantial other assets or capital.

That is not to say that you cannot investigate the possibility with some of the lenders, but it may be very tough going.

I doubt that it would be a prudent thing to do either. Courts have wide powers to set aside transactions that are taken with a view to denying local authorities fees they are due. So, if you transferred the property to your daughters for no value then they could set aside the transaction and mortgage to take fees from the home. This would leave lender requiring the mortgage debt to be paid but reduced equity in the property to pay it. For this reason, I would strongly advise against it.

Sorry it could not be better news.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and 2 other UK Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

before i rate i want to know how much i pay? it mentioned £32 when originally it was £22.i do not want a monthly deduction as this is the only question i need answering


I'm an expert I'm afraid, I just answer questions.

Once you have rated my answer I will refer this to Customer Accounts who will contact you, but please be patient.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

soon as someone tells me it will only be £22 i will gladly give you positive rating


I can't do it in the normal way because it closes this thread so you woudl not be able to rate my answer, which means that I would not get credited for the time I have taken to answer your question.

I have emailed a moderator to pass this on to customer services, who should contact you but it may take a little longer than normal because of the convoluted way it is being done.