How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have lived with a man for 20 years, between us we own a house

This answer was rated:

I have lived with a man for 20 years, between us we own a house together, we have a 15yr old son, hes now having an affair and is away a lot with her. He refuses to leave the house.

I'm frightened of losing a roof over my & my sons head, Can I get him to leave or can he force me to sell, I have no income & no job, I'm 50 yrs old.

Thanks for your patience.

I’m afraid that if you are both on the title to the property then you each have a right of access which neither can deny the other unless there is a court order stating one should not have access, this court order would result from either criminal or civil proceedings.

You would not be able to enforce his eviction unfortunately.

If you cannots work things out then he would be at liberty to apply for a court order to attempt to force the sale of the property. However, your child is living at the property and he is the father then the Court is not likely to order the sale immediately unless it is plainly obvious that you can afford alternative accommodation. Once the child is an adult then it is more likely that they would order the sale.

I am sorry I could not have better news for you

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and 2 other UK Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

What would happen if I packed up his belongings, put them outside and changed locks.


That would not be a good idea. It woudl be an illegal eviction, this means that he could hire a locksmith, change the locks back and sue you for money, plus legal fees + interest.

Please remember to rate my answer.