How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7615
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i am currently living in Dubai, my wife left to go back and

This answer was rated:

i am currently living in Dubai, my wife left to go back and live in the uk 15 months ago. can i use a uk solicitor on my behalf or do i need to start divorce proceedings from a dubai based solicitor which is extremely expensive.

Is your wife continuing to live in the UK? Will she for the foreseeable future?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes she will continue to live in the uk.


Thanks for your patience.

Yes, you can issue your divorce petition in the UK. This is because your wife is now habitually resident in the UK. This means that a UK court will have jurisdiction of the divorce petition that you submit in the UK.

Therefore, you can instruct a UK solicitor to deal with the divorce. You can also do this from where you are now, though you may have to attend a notary in order to verify your identity.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

last question she left me with our child who is almost 18. i gave her all our savings, i cashed in my pension and have given her 1000 pounds a month for the last 15 months. i gave her this so she could have money to start again. we have no properties in the UK or elsewhere. i can not afford to pay her the 1000 pounds any more. have i any legal obligation to keep my wife ??? she is now working and lives in company provided accomidation. do i have to continue supporting her. we were married 18 years.


I'm afraid that having regard to the length of time that you are married the UK courts would be likely to order that all of the matrimonial assets (ie. her assets and yours) together are split equally.

Financial settlement is complicated though, and you need to get specific advice from a solicitor in the normal way who will take details of all of your financial information and then give you guidance on what you might be expected to settle on.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Kind regards.

Thomas and other UK Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Family Law Questions