How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7609
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My girlfriend of 4 years (+ her 2 young daughters) is moving

This answer was rated:

My girlfriend of 4 years (+ her 2 young daughters) is moving in shortly. I live in my own house with my son. I have owned the house for 9 years.
I intend to pay all the bills. The girlfriend will only buy clothes for herself and her 2 daughters.
Under what circumstances (if any) will my girlfriend have a monetary claim on me or my house if we ever split up?

I hope you can help. Thank you.

Are there any children of the relationship with your girlfriend (ie. not from your respective prior relationships with other persons)?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

None Tom.


Thanks for your patience.

Ultimately if you remain unmarried to her and do not have any children with her then provided:
1. She does pay more in rent or other expenses than she would in her own private residential accomdation
2. She does not pay capital sums from the mortgage
3. She does not carry out improvements to the property which substantially increases it’s value
Then she would not be advised that she has a claim against the property.

If you stick to the above you will protect yourself.

You need to contact the lender of your mortgage and explain that she is going to move in. They may ask her to execute their standard form Deed of Postponement, which they will send to you. In this she will state that she does not have a financial interest in the property at the time of occupation and shall not claim such before the lender’s first legal charge (ie. the lenders mortgage over the property

She will have to take it to a local solicitor to witness his execution of it, they probably will and this will cost around £10.00. If he wishes to receive advice from a local solicitor on it then it would cost around £60.00

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for that Tom,

She will not be paying me any rent. Is that a worry?

No. Non-payment of rent simply means that it will be even more difficult for her to make a claim.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Thomas and other UK Family Law Specialists are ready to help you