How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7609
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Are my Gambian wife of 6 years and her 13 year old daughter,

This answer was rated:

Are my Gambian wife of 6 years and her 13 year old daughter, who have lived here in Oldham with me for those 6 years, entitled to a British passport ?
they both have " Indefinite leave to remain in the UK " since 15th April 2009.
we live in Oldham Lancashire. my wife has a N.I. number and works 16 hours for me in our pub business. our daughter is in her 3rd year at Failsworth school & sports collage.

Did your wife originally get her leave to remain as the spouse of you (being a UK national or person holding ILR yourself)?

Where and when was the child born?

What is the nationality of the child's father?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My wife and daughter holds a Gambian passports in their Gambian names.

we were married in civil court in Banjul 6 years ago.

the child was born in Fagi Kunda, The Gambia 12 / 08 / 1999

Her father was from Senegal, working l but has never been in contact since she was two.

They never married as he has another wife and never told her.


Thanks for your patience.

They will need to apply to be naturalised as a UK citizen prior to making an application for a passport. Once naturalised They will be able to apply for UK passports

You will need to meet the requirements on the following page in order to be eligible to apply for naturalisation:-

In particular you should note the residential requirement as to any time you have spent out of the country and make sure that you have not spent over the amount stipulated.

You will have to apply by completing the UKBA’s Form AN. Here is the link to the page with the form and guidance notes on completing it and what documents you will need to submit with your application:-

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Family Law Specialists are ready to help you