How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7609
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

The house is in joint names, My wife passed away recently,

This answer was rated:

The house is in joint names, My wife passed away recently, now i need to get the house put into my name only. what is the process surrounding this?

Do you hold your interests as "tenants in common" or "joint tenants"?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am not sure, how will i now which i have


Thanks for your patience.

You can check by downloading a copy of the register for the property from the Land Registry by paying a £4.00 fee:-

Look at the propreitorship register of the title you have downloaded from the Land Registry (where the proprietors of the property are listed). If the following entry is immediately below the named registered proprietors then the interests are held as tenants in common:-

" No disposition by a sole propreitor of the registered estate (except a trust corporation) under which capital money arises is to be registered unless authorised by an order of the Court"

If there is no such entry then the proprty is held as joint tenants.

If the property is held as joint tenants then you will have to send a certified copy of the death certificate to the Land Registry office that deals with the registered title. The register you download will state which office deals with it. If this applies, you should call the Land Registry and ask if they require you to completion their Form AP1 as well when you send it in. If you do then you can download a form to complete here:-

The property will then be updated to your sole name.

If the property is held as tenants in common then her share will pass under the Terms of her Will or under the Intestacy rules. This means that a grant of probate (for a Will) or letters of administration (for intestacy) must be applied for before an application can be made to the Land Registry to transfer the property to the person who is entitled under her Will or under the Intestacy rules to inherit it

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Waiting on a reply regarding which tenent i come under


I have told you how you can find out.

Please refer to the first half of my answer and you will see how you can confirm this.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The information returned stated that we were joint tenants. I have asked for the AP1 form from the Land Registry service.

Yes, correct. You should submit the form with a certificate copy of her death certificate and also complete the Land Registry ID1 form to verify your identity.

I have more than answered your question now. If you wish for me to answer any follow ups please submit a further deposited question to the board and request me by my profile and by marking your question "FAO Tom".


Related UK Family Law Questions