How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi Can you advise me on a legal matter- my husband wishes

This answer was rated:


Can you advise me on a legal matter- my husband wishes to sell our property and purchase one on his own and suggested that I purchase my own property- Legally where do we stand? We recently had a few arguments and he won't consider purchasing house for the next 5 years?

Thanks for your patience.

How long have you been married to your husband for please?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Tom, I have been married for 6 years and together for 7 years. We also have a two year old son together.

Thank you.


Thanks for your patience.

If you each purchase a property in your sole name then it would mean that you would be the sole registered propretors of each property. This means that you can each do with them as you wish, including selling and remortgaging.

If it’s the case that you may divorce then you could complicate the financial settlement for eachother by mortgaging them, which may make achieving a fair financial settlement a bit more complicated.

I would suggest that if divorce is a possibility that it would not be prudent to do this. Having only one property involved often compels parties to reach settlement quicker than they would otherwise do if they had their own properties where it’s easier to “shove the issue under the carpet”.

Having one property usually makes it easier to achieve a clean break in financial proceedings.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you Tom for the advice. Legally it's not a good idea. We are not currently divorcing but the situation does make it uneasy for me.
If I did proceed, can you confirm that I should have a legal document in place in event that this does not bode well in the future.