How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7602
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is it legal for a child to get a british passport if the dad

This answer was rated:

Is it legal for a child to get a british passport if the dad is in prison, hes a foriegn national he has indifinite leave to remain for about 6yrs, the child is 4yrs old. hes been in the country for about 12yrs, hes got 6yrs imprisonment. The mother doesnt have her stay yet.
Is it legal by any chance...

kind regards

Thanks for your patience.

If it is the case that the child was born in the UK and the child’s father had ILR at the time of the child’s birth then the child will automatically be a UK citizen because one of the parent’s was a settled in the UK at the time of their births, having ILR is regarded as being settled for the purpose of the application of these rules.

Confirmation here:-

See “If you were born in the UK on or after 1 January 1983” on the above link.

They can simply apply for a UK passport without first having to register as a UK citizen:-

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have apply for my son passport is dad is in prison but the passport office is asking for some stuff that is a bit odd, I don't know what to do, can u pls call me a I will talk more about it.. My number is XXXXXXXXXXX

Kind regards
Private contact between experts and customers is forbidden I'm afraid.


Related UK Family Law Questions