How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7602
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my mother left her flat in her will to my brother and myself

This answer was rated:

my mother left her flat in her will to my brother and myself since she has died i have seperated from my husband sold my house split everything in half with my husband paid money to my brother for the flat and moved in. i now need to have the deeds transferred over to myself. could you please tell me how do i go about this and how much will it cost .look foreward to hearing from you.

is there a mortgage on the property?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no all paid up



I assume that the property is registered in the joint names of you and your brother.

You can download a copy of the register for your property from the land registry's search engine:-
Enter the postcode for your property and if it is registered it will give you the option to download a copy of the register.You will see that a title number is XXXXX to the property. You will need this to transfer the property

You will have to draft a Transfer (form TR1) from you to your brother (which you will both have to sign as a deed (ie. witnessed) and you can download the template form from the land registry's website. You will have to submit this to the land registry with their form AP1, this is also downloadable from the website
by selecting from the "Forms" tab:-

You will probably have some questions on completing the form but the land registry's customer support service are very helpful to lay persons. A fee will be required and you can also ask them about that.

If you do not choose to instruct a solicitor to do it for you then you will each have to complete ID1 forms from the LR and submit them with the AP1/TR1

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thank you Tom you were most helpful

No problem, thank you for your kind note and for rating my answer.


Related UK Family Law Questions