Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

My late husbands mother has recently died without leaving

My late husband's mother has recently died without leaving a will. Her daughter is her next of kin. Will she automatically inherit her mother's bank accounts? My husband was the eldest and we have three children. His sister also has three children.

Was your late husband's mother married at the date of her death?

Tom
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

She was widdowed.

Hi

Thanks for your patience.

Her estate will pass under the intestacy rules if there is no Will.

In the case of an unmarried person with children but where one of her children has predeceased her (ie your husband) then your husband’s share’s would pass to your children:-
http://www.inheritancedisputes.co.uk/intestacy.php

Please see under the heading “YOU ARE NOT MARRIED (OR IN A CIVIL PARTNERSHIP) BUT HAVE CHILDREN”

Therefore your husband’s share of the inheritance should be divided between your three children

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Tom