UK Family Law

UK Family Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

UK Family Law

hi my husband is british born,hold a british passport,both

hi my husband is british born,hold...
hi
my husband is british born,hold a british passport,both parents are british.we live in Bermuda and we having a baby.we need to know if we have to register her birth in uk(and if yes where and which form we need to fill out),and then apply for a british passport
thank you
9/13/2012
Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Hi

Thanks for your patience.

Assuming that the child has at least one British born parent (with UK grandparents) then they would qualify for UK citizenship and a passport.

If the birth occurred in Bermuda then this should be where it is registered. You can’t then register the birth as occurring in the UK. In any event the child will have “uk citizenship by descent”. This means that they have full UK rights but they can only automatically pass on their UK citizenship to such of their children that are born in the UK.

You can apply for a passport from Bermuda:-
http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/passports1/

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Tom

what we are asking is do we have to register her birth in uk as well as bermuda.the form for passport says the child should be register in uk

No, sorry, I should have clarified. You don't physically have to register the child in the UK but you should register it with consulate nearest to you:-

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/births-deaths-marriages-civil/registering-a-birth

Please remember to rate my answer .

Tom

my husband and i wondering if we can get help from you filling the right form(and which sections) for the passport and what exactly documents we need for it.

and how much it will cost?

thank you

I can't accept instructions from customers I'm afraid.

If you have general questions you can request me and I'll attempt to answer, but it will be easy enough. The fee should be on the first link that I sent you somewhere.

The fee is $134 and there is further guidance here:-
http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/passports/how-to-apply/bermuda1#payfees

Please rate my answer.

Tom

okay,thank you anyway.i just check the link for register her birth you give me:

www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/births-deaths-marriages-civil/registering-a-birth

well,we read it,but then we got "before applying for consular birth registration" and "exceptions" countries:....the british overseas territories.

now,i dont understand it

I'm out on my phone at the moment.

May I answer in detail tomorrow?

Tom

hi,

when you have a chance maybe you can help us.thanks

Sorry, drafting your answer now.

Tom

Sorry again for the delay in replying.

Bermuda is a British Overseas territories. Therefore, on second reading they will probably not do a consular birth registration because of this.

Therefore you should be able to register using passport form C2 to get their UK passport.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Kind regards,

Tom
Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Thomas
Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor