How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7609
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

hello my son lives in Denver Colorado, married to an American

This answer was rated:

hello my son lives in Denver Colorado, married to an American women with 2 young boys, he asked how he can obtain a british passport for them , both the boys aged 3 and 6 yrs were born in Colorado, therefore have birth ceritifcates registered in the states, there are no issues in their marriage, please can you advise as to what they need to do. regards Linda

Thanks for your question.

PLease confirm that your son is British By Birth, having been born in the UK to British Parents?

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hello , I can confirm that my son was born in the UK and of British Parents

Just to confirm, is he the father of the children?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hello Tom, yes our son is the father of the children, he has been living and working in the USA for 7 years,

Thanks for your patience.

If he is the father of the children then they are eligible for UK citizenship and UK passports under the British Nationality Act 1981. This is because they were born outside the UK to a British National Parent holding “UK citizenship otherwise than by descent” (ie. British By Birth).

The will have full UK citizenship rights but they will have “UK citizenship by descent” which means that they will not be able to automatically pass on their citizenship so such of there own children who are born outside the UK. If their children are born within the UK then they will acquire UK citizenship.

They will have to apply for passport via the regional processing centre in the UK. Details here:

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Family Law Specialists are ready to help you