How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am have been asked to finance the purchase of a house. Financialy,

This answer was rated:

I am have been asked to finance the purchase of a house. Financialy, its not a problem but is it possible for me to become the mortgage provider, the same as any other mortgage company or do i need to have some sort of accreditiation or permission before i become a lender?

Thanks for your question.

If this is a one-off transaction and you won't be doing this in the course of your business then it's fine.

You should instruct a solicitor to draw up a Charge before you provide the finance. The charge would be effecetively the same thing as a mortgage. it would state the money being lent, the terms of repauyment, interest, early repayment and triggers for powers of sale.

The Buyer should instruct a separate solicitor to deal with the conveyancing and advising them on the implications of the charge. It will be registered agianst the legal title of the property, whcih means that they property will not be able to be sold or remortgaged without your consent, which you would obviously not give unless the terms of the charge had been complied with.

It should cost around £150-200+VAT for a soliciotor to draw this up for you. I would add the cost to the loan amount.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,


Thomas and 2 other UK Family Law Specialists are ready to help you