How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Awan-Legal Your Own Question
Awan-Legal, Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 128
Experience:  Expert
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Awan-Legal is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, I am an Australian with residency here in the UK. If

This answer was rated:

Hello, I am an Australian with residency here in the UK. If I inherit some money from my mother I understand that £350,000 is death duty free. If my mother leaves some money to my children is their inheritance similarly death duty free ? My mother lives in Australia. Its the UK law I don't know about. I know the Australian law on the topic.


Awan-Legal :



Awan-Legal :

Thanks for your question.


Awan-Legal :

The inheritance tax threshold in the UK is actually £325,000 at present in the UK after which 40% inheritance tax is to be paid on the excess amount above that figure.


Awan-Legal :

She can give a gift to you or your children above this amount but if she dies within 7 years of giving this financial gift, then the recipient will still be required to pay tax on this amount. If she survives beyond 7 years of the gift, then there is no tax to pay.


Awan-Legal :

The link below should help:


Awan-Legal :

I hope that is clear. Please click for a positive rating, thanks.


To be clear..... If she dies and leaves me here in the UK £325,ooo there is no tax payable.

If she also leaves my children, also here in the UK, say £50,000 each (I have 2 children) they would have to pay 40% tax on the sum they receive?

Awan-Legal and other UK Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying R$ 10.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.

Related UK Family Law Questions