How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7609
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Do i as a mother have to let the father of my son who is not

Resolved Question:

Do i as a mother have to let the father of my son who is not on the birth certificate let him see my son?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your question.
If contact is not allowed to a father by a mother then the father can seek to enforce contact via the courts by applying for a contact order under the Children’s Act.
To do this a father must have parental responsibility, or apply for it at the same time they make the application for the contact order at court. If your child was born after 1st Decemebr 2003 and he was named on the certificate then he would automatically have PR. If he is not named on the birth certificate and you have never married then he would have to apply for PR at the same time.
These applications are very drawn out and contact is based upon an assessment of properly qualified experts in child development. So, if you denied contact now then his only option would be to apply to Court for contact which would take some time if contact were ordered.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.
If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and 2 other UK Family Law Specialists are ready to help you