How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my husband wants a divorce and his online divorce lawyer has

This answer was rated:

my husband wants a divorce and his online divorce lawyer has sent me the papers to sign. he is accusing me of adultery which is untrue. do i sign the papers and where it says do i admit to adultery i put no will this be heard and will the divorce still go through? thank you

Thanks for your question.
If the adultery is not true then obviously you should not “admit” to it. By saying that you did commit adultery when you didn’t you would be perjuring yourself. This is regarded as contempt of court and could have serious consequences so it’s very important that you do not misrepresent yourself.
If you do not “admit” the adultery then your husband can either attempt to prove the adultery in a defended divorce in open court (unlikely, expensive, stressful) or he can petition you on another basis (eg unreasonable behaviour). If by signing the papers admitting the adultery you would be perjuring yourself then you may wish to either petition your husband yourself of to request that he petition you on unreasonable behaviour.
The actual reason cited in the divorce is immaterial to financial settlement, it exists only to convince the judge that you are legally entitled to a divorce.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.
If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
so do i send papers back unsigned with a letter saying that i do not accept adultery and say on grounds of unreasonable behaviour will they change it ? thank you

I would write to your husband stating that you cannot admit to something that isn't true and ask him to petition you on the basis of your unreasonable behaviour, and yes send the papers back unsigned.

At the same time and for the same reason you should ask him to withdraw the petition if it has already been issued by the Court.

Trust this clarifies, please click accept. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Family Law Specialists are ready to help you