How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello i have been seeing a woman who has recently left her

Resolved Question:

Hello i have been seeing a woman who has recently left her husband (she left him 2 months ago). The problem is she is worried that if her husband finds out about us would this be classed as adultery as she has not officialy filed for divorce but has left her maritall home to live with her perants..
Thanks and any advice would be greatfully recieved.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your question.
Yes, if you have had sexual relations then he could petition her on the basis of adultery as they are still married.
However, adultery (or whatever reason is cited in divorce) is immaterial – it does not affect the financial settlement she is entitled to at all. The actual reasons for divorce are not relevant other than to convince the judge to issue the petition in the first place.
Also, if he does petition then there is no requirement that your identity is revealed in the petitioner. It can simply state adultery with an unnamed co-respondent and you would not be required to be involved in proceedings.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.
If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Family Law Specialists are ready to help you