How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been estranged from my wife for 13 years. I have been

Resolved Question:

I have been estranged from my wife for 13 years. I have been unable to located her or my daughter who is now almost 18. I believe that she attempted to petition for divorce about 3 years ago (she had contacted my mother who did not wish to be involved) but I have hear nothing further. I now live overseas. How can I find out if the divorce was indeed requested or in fact granted. Thank you.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your reply.

If your wife was able to convince the judge to dispense with service of the petition and a decree absolute (final decree legally divorcing you) then a copy of this will be held by the Principal Registry of the Family division.

Here is the link containing details on how you can search and obtain a copy of necessary:-

If you require the search result to be sent abroad I would contact them to ask if they require the postage fee to be paid.

There won’t be a record of any petitions issued but not proceeded with I’m afraid.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Family Law Specialists are ready to help you