How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7602
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i by names john mtirira i getting married outside uk (uganda)

Resolved Question:

i by names john mtirira i getting married outside uk (uganda) i want to proof that iam single?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.


Thanks for your question.

To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following:-

  • 1. Are you referring to a Certificate of no Impediment to Marriage?

Kind regards.


Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i was asked by the authorities that conduct marriages in uganda to provide aproof that iam single as requirment to fulfill my marriage could be that i hope thx
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.



Thanks for your reply.


Usually the country's authorities require you to produce a Certificate of No Impediment (to marriage) to show that you are single and are legally able to marry someone:-


You need to check with the Ugandan auhthorities to see if they will accept a Certificate issued in the UK. If they do then you need to contact your local registry office to request a certificate. They will be able to tell you what you need to do. It won't take long and it isn't complicated.


The High Commission in Kampala will be able to refer you to Uganda's relevant authority to confirm if they accept a certificate issued in the UK:-


If they don't accept a UK Certificate they will be able to advise you on what you need to do to have one issue in Uganda, but from you question it sounds as if they do accept UK certificates.


When speaking with the Ugandan authority you also need to ask if they require your UK Certificate to be legalized, which means that it is verified by a notary so that they can rely on it in Uganda:-


If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.


I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,


Customer: replied 5 years ago.

iam not satisfied because i thought you are to draft that letter then send it to email present it to authorities

Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Hi John,


Any lawyer you go to locally where you are would tell you the same thing I have, they woudl refer you to the same places I have.


No lawyer could draft a letter to confirm you are single because they would not be able to unless they had specific knowledge of your personal circumstances as a result of having known you for a long time.


You coudl tell them that you are single, and then they could write a letter stating that you have told them that you are single but this would not be at all convincing. The certificate referred to above, which you will note is also the stated position of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office of the UK government.


In any event, this site is for general advice only and we cannot accept instructions directly from customers.

Trust this clarifies, please click accept.

Kind regards,


Thomas and other UK Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Family Law Questions