UK Family Law

UK Family Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

UK Family Law

i by names john mtirira i getting married outside uk (uganda)

Customer Question
i want to proof that...
i by names john mtirira i getting married outside uk (uganda) i want to proof that iam single?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: UK Family Law
1/15/2012
Solicitor: Thomas, Solicitor replied 6 years ago
Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor

Hi

Thanks for your question.

To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following:-

• 1. Are you referring to a Certificate of no Impediment to Marriage?

Kind regards.

Tom

i was asked by the authorities that conduct marriages in uganda to provide aproof that iam single as requirment to fulfill my marriage could be that i hope thx

Thanks for your reply.

Usually the country's authorities require you to produce a Certificate of No Impediment (to marriage) to show that you are single and are legally able to marry someone:-

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/births-deaths-marriages-civil/marriage-and-civil-partnerships/CNI-nulla-ostas

You need to check with the Ugandan auhthorities to see if they will accept a Certificate issued in the UK. If they do then you need to contact your local registry office to request a certificate. They will be able to tell you what you need to do. It won't take long and it isn't complicated.

The High Commission in Kampala will be able to refer you to Uganda's relevant authority to confirm if they accept a certificate issued in the UK:-

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/find-an-embassy/sub-saharan-africa/high-commission-kampala

If they don't accept a UK Certificate they will be able to advise you on what you need to do to have one issue in Uganda, but from you question it sounds as if they do accept UK certificates.

When speaking with the Ugandan authority you also need to ask if they require your UK Certificate to be legalized, which means that it is verified by a notary so that they can rely on it in Uganda:-

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,

Tom

iam not satisfied because i thought you are to draft that letter then send it to email present it to authorities

Hi John,

Any lawyer you go to locally where you are would tell you the same thing I have, they woudl refer you to the same places I have.

No lawyer could draft a letter to confirm you are single because they would not be able to unless they had specific knowledge of your personal circumstances as a result of having known you for a long time.

You coudl tell them that you are single, and then they could write a letter stating that you have told them that you are single but this would not be at all convincing. The certificate referred to above, which you will note is also the stated position of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office of the UK government.

In any event, this site is for general advice only and we cannot accept instructions directly from customers.

Trust this clarifies, please click accept.

Kind regards,

Tom

Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Thomas
Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor