How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband and I are apart, he has asked for our marriage certificate

Resolved Question:

My husband and I are apart, he has asked for our marriage certificate for his solicitor - is that for mediation or divorce?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

In all probability this has been requested because he is considering petitioning your for divorce. A marriage certificate is required to be submitted with the divorce petition when it is submitted to Court. It will not be issued by the court it has been submitted to unless it has been enclosed with the petition.

A marriage certificate is not a pre-requisite for mediation following separation.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.

Kind regards,

Thomas and 2 other UK Family Law Specialists are ready to help you