Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

I made a will before I was married, is it still valid after

Customer Question

I made a will before I was married, is it still valid after I am married or is my wife now sole beneficiary by default?
Thanks
Henry.

Can you refer me to a reference to demonstrate this?
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

THanks for your question.

Provided your Will was validly executed it shall still be binding, so that whoever you intended to inherit should still inherit.

However, if you did not make provision for your wife in the will and you supported your wife immediately before her death then it is possible for her to make a claim on your estate under the Inheritance Provision for family and dependents Act so that she will receive some of the amount that would otherwise pass to people under your Will.

If you wish to avoid the above then you need to make a new Will.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. You will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Expert:  Clare replied 5 years ago.
Your existing Will became in valid on the date of your marriage unless it contained the words " this will is made in contemplation of my marriage to (your wife's name)" details herehttp://www.netlawman.co.uk/info/will-marriage-divorce.phpAs things stand in the event of your death your estate will pass under the intestacy rules which means the first £250,000 will go to your wife together with a life interest in half of the remainderdetails herehttp://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/ManagingMoney/PlanningYourPersonalFinances/DG_10013642Claire