How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

follow-up to Can my widowed son-in-law prevent me from seeing my grandaug

Resolved Question:

Hi, I am requesting a follow up to my 10/19/2011 question: Can my widowed son-in-law prevent me from seeing my grandaug

Original Question URL:
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.


Thanks for your question.

To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following:-

  • 1. Have you previously had a meaningful and important connection with the child (eg. Regular contact , overnight stays possible, telephone contact)

Kind regards.


Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes I have had a very close relationship with my grandaughter, having her stay overnight and taking her out weekends and school holidays and taking the whole family on holiday. My son-in-law has suddenly become very hostile against me and is laying the law down about me having access to Abbie. Abbie seems happy enough but is very quiet when I ask her if she can come over and then tells me quietly that she is not allowed to sleep or that she must be home a lot earlier than I expected. I should point out that there is a new girlfriend on the scene who is pregnant by my son-in-law so this obviously, has not helped the situation.
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your reply.

How old is the child please?

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Abbie is 7 years on 31/10/11
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your reply.

The previous expert is correct, subject to the proviso that you may apply to County Court for a contact order re-instating a form of contact with her provided you can show that you have had a meaningful and important connection with the child up to the point at which contact was stopped. The types and incidences of contact you describe would constitute such a connection assuming no other circumstances apply.

If he is not willing to reinstate contact following your informal requests then you should ask if he is willing to attend mediation to deal with the matter in the hope that you can avoid a formal application to Court for a contact order. You can find mediation centres via seeking advice from Resolution for free:-

If he is not willing to mediate then you will have no option but to instruct a solicitor to apply to court on your behalf for a contact order. The solicitor would probably write formally to him one more time in order to request contact in a letter pending legal action.

During your contact application CAFCASS would look at any welfare issues and make a report to help the court in making a decision as to whether to order contact and how much. It can be quite lengthy if it is fully defended by him I regret to say.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Family Law Specialists are ready to help you