How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7609
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Good morning, I am a notary here in Montreal. I need a copy

Resolved Question:

Good morning,
I am a notary here in Montreal.
I need a copy of a judgment of divorce of my client who got married in Vancouver on April 26th, 1986 with Nelly BUENO (born April 6th 1948...he thinks). His name isXXXXX and he is born on April 3rd, 1958.
He got divorce in South Hampton (England) in 1998.
I need a copy of the judgment please.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

A decree absolute is the final divorce decree which confirms that a person is legally divorced.

In order to be legally divorce in the UK one must obtain a Decree Absolute. There is a central registry at the Principle Registry of the Family Division which keeps an index of all divorces in England and Wales since 1858:-

Use the contact details on the above page to contact the registry to confirm you can obtain this from Canada (you will be able to) and ask about their fee. There is no online search functionality so you will have to complete Form D440. They will be either able to refer you to the form or you can download it from here:-

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Please could you get me the needed copy? It is so difficult to reach anyone there...I left a message.

I will pay your fees.

I do not have any other information about the client. I have just the one I gave you in the first email.

Thank you for your time

Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

I'm very sorry but I'm afraid the terms of the site prohibit private contact between customers and clients, so I would have to decline.

If the number on the link I sent you did not get through to anyone I would try the number listed on this HMCS website for "Decree Absolute Searches" :-

Trust this clarifies, please click accept.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Family Law Specialists are ready to help you