How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Dear Sir/Madam, I have been living with my boy friend in

This answer was rated:

Dear Sir/Madam,

I have been living with my boy friend in my house over 2 years. He never paid anything to me, because he is always struggling for money. He can't afford his mortage (student loan etc), he maybe bankrupt soon.

I need go abroad for several months. He said he will help me to pay some bill now. I know I maybe paranoid. Will his bankrupt influence me? Whether he can own my half assests because he living with me over 2 years.

what's difference between partner and boyfriend? What can partner get from another party? How could I financially protect myself?

Please advise. Many thanks.

Hi Anita,

Thanks for your question.
To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following using the same numbering:-
1. Do you own your home and if so do you own this in your sole name or with him
2. Have you signed any loans jointly with him or personally guaranteed any loan which he has taken
Kind regards.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.



Thanks for your quick response.


1. I own my house in my sole name.

2. I didn't signed any loans jointly with him or guaranteed any loan which he has taken

3. He didn't pay my mortgage and bill.


Could you please let me know how I can protect myself?





Hi Anita,


Thanks for your reply.




  • 1. Did he contribute more in rent/mortgage repaymentsthan she otherwise would have paid if she was living in her own private rented accommodation?


  • 2. Did he make capital repayments to pay off significant sums of the mortgage?


  • 3. Did he pay for/carry out significant improvements to the property which improved the value of the property?



Kind regards,


Customer: replied 6 years ago.



1. no. He is always poor. He started pay £400/ per month to me in June.

2. no.

3. no.


Could you tell me what's the different of Partner and Boy friend? I don't mind he is poor. I am quite worried one day he leave me and take half house away. How can I protect myself.






Thanks for your reply.

The relevant distinction is not partner vs boyfriend (they are the same thing) but partner/boyfriend vs spouse

The position is that where a person is not named on the registered title to a property then you can generally only claim an interest in the property if you have made either a capital contribution to it (ie. financing the purchase or pay for significant works which materially increase the value of the property) or have maintained the mortgage payments/paid rent or bills/food to a total that is more than you would otherwise have paid in private rented accommodation in the area.
Provided does not contribute more money in payment for food/rent than he would have otherwise paid in private rented accommodation for rent/bills/food and does not make improvements to the property which increases it’s market value then she would not be advised to make a claim against your property

In term of any bankruptcy, if you did not guarantee any of his loans or sign any of them as co-debtor then even if he went bankrupt they would not be able to claim against your sole assets because they can only claim against his assets because it would be his personal bankruptcy and would not extend to you

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Family Law Specialists are ready to help you