Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

My wife and I got seperated after 3 months of marriage. I am

Customer Question

My wife and I got seperated after 3 months of marriage. I am currently in the process of filing a divorce however i am pretty concerned if I would have to pay any child maintenance
for her 3 yr old son whom she had from a previous relationship.
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Hi

Thanks for your question.

Child Support can only be enforced against the natural father of the child. It does not extend to step-parents. You will not have to make payments in respect of the child if you do not wish to.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,

Tom

Thomas, Solicitor
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hello Tom,

What happens if this child is seen as a child of the family yet not my biological son?

Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

The child support agency could still not enforce child support against you.

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality. I know fully well that the child support agency will not come enforcing child maintenance against me but what if she applies to the court for a child maintenance order? Would the I be expected to pay child maintenance by being married for 3 months?
Expert:  Clare replied 6 years ago.
Hi
How long did you live together?
Claire
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi Claire,

We cohabited from the 1st of May 2010 till the 2nd of August 2010 (3 months). We were then married form the 2nd of August 2010 to 1st of November 2010 (3months) when we decided to go our seperate ways owing to irreconciliable differences.

Expert:  Clare replied 6 years ago.
Hi
Does the child's father pay maintenance at all?
Claire