Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

hi, i have been living with a man now for 16yrs, do i have

hi, i have been living with a man now for 16yrs, do i have any rights to claim anything from him now that we are seperating, thank you for your help., evelyn currie
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Hi

Thanks for your question.

To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following:-

• 1. Are you asking about specific assets (eg. Property)? Please state those assets if so

Kind regards.

Tom

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
hi, the property is in his name but i pay the telephone and intenet connection, i have just today cancelled the council tax in my name and reverted it back to his name as i hope to leave the property at the end of april
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Hi

Thanks for your question.

• 1. Have you paid any rent for your occupation of the property?
  • 2. Did you contribute to the initial financing of the purchase of the property even though you are not the owner of it

Kind regards.

Tom

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi sorry for the delay in replying had visitors, anyway in answer to question 1

No i have never paid rent for the occupation of the property

question 2 No i have never contributed towards the purchase of the property although we were living together for 16 years and he provided the money and i did the shopping and furnishing and organising the repair and upkeep therefore increasing the value of the property, this is the reason i am asking if i have any right to ask for help in my future if and when i leave this man, thank you

Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

I'm afraid that if you are unmarried, have not paid more in rent/expenses than you would otherwise have paid if you were living in private rented accommodation, have not contributed to the initial financing of the purchase of the property and have not paid for and carried out significant works to the property which has materially increased the value of the property (eg. An extension) then you would not be advised to attempt to make a claim against the property.

If you have actually paid for and carried out works of significance then you might be able to claim under the Trusts of Land and Appointment of Trustees Act but this is not easy or cheap and it cannot be simply upkeep and day-to-day repair of the property. The works generally have to be building works which alter the physical structure of the property (eg addition of room etc) which then make the property more marketable and valuable.

Unmarried partners are not recognised the same was as married partners are, regardless of the length time of the relationship. If you were married and then divorced then the length of the marriage would be taken to be the length of the relationship (ie. 16 years) and you would be able to claim a share of the assets but there is no similar provision for unmarried couples I'm afraid.

I'm sorry that this is probably not the answer you wished to here, but unmarried couples are at a big disadvantage here.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,

Tom