How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How can i get my husband to leave the house, we have agreed

Resolved Question:

How can i get my husband to leave the house, we have agreed to split but he wont move out he is in a relationship with another woman and the atmosphere isnt good for the children.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.


Thanks for your question.

To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following:-

  • 1. Do you own your home?
  • 2. Are you both named as registered proprietors of the property

Kind regards.


Customer: replied 6 years ago.

yes i do own home, and yes we named as registered proprietors of the property on a mortgage.

















Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.


Thanks for your reply.


Firstly, if you presently hold your interests in the house jointly (as joint tenants) then each person's share woulld pass to the other upon death regardless of any director made in the Will.


If this is not what you want then you should sever the joint tenancy by using Form SEV from the Land Registry (you will have to send it to them and if you have any questions about completing the form you should call their customer service number - they are very helpful):-

Your spouse need not sign the form provided you follow the instructions. You will then hold your shares as what is known as "tenant in common" and each person's share would pass according to the person's Will or under the intestacy rules upon death. If you do not have a Will then you should consider making one immediately.


If you both named on the title to the property then you both have a right to occupy the property that neither can deny the other. This remains the case unless there is a Court order to the contrary made pursuant either to civil or criminal proceedings. At the present time you cannot get him to move out I'm afraid.


You should consider seeing a solicitor if you wish to try and negotiate him moving out, but unless the child's welfare is in jeopardy (rather than it being simply uncomfortable) then getting him out is going to be very difficult if he is not agreeable.


You should also strongly consider mediation to see if you can work through the problem with a family practitioner. They can help you both negotiate your way through this difficult time. Resolution are a national organisation who can provide guidance initially in this regard:-


I am sorry it could not be better news.


If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,




Thomas and other UK Family Law Specialists are ready to help you