Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

If I visit a solicitor for an initial consultation regarding

If I visit a solicitor for an initial consultation regarding a document, do I have to give them a copy of the document if they ask, even if I specify I do not want to?

Could you be more specific about the document and why you would not wish them to retain a copy please?

Thanks.

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
"the document I have contains personal information and I will be only seeking guidance from them at this stage.

Thanks for your Question.

It's perfectly fine for you to insist that the solicitor does not take a copy of it. Just make it clear to them when you book the consultation and then again at the start of the meeting.

Client files technically belong to the client and the client may withdraw it at any time, although the firm will have a lien on the file (a right to retain) until such time as their fees are settled by the client.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom