How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

uk based common law wife. What is a common law wife entitled

Resolved Question:

uk based common law wife.
What is a common law wife entitled to if the mortgage was fully repaid six years before she moved in.
We have lived together for ten years.There are no children involved or any loans.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Hi Dominic,


Did you partner pay more in rent to you than she otherwise would have paid in private rented accomodation?


Did you partner carry out and pay for any works which substantially increased the value of the property?


Customer: replied 6 years ago.
NO.1 No i have never asked her to pay any rent,i have always paid paid all the dirct debits etc. My choice.
She has always paid for the food shopping approx £120.00 a week

NO.2 No i have paid for all home improvements
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Hi Dominic,

Thanks for your reply.


On that basis she would not be advised to claim an interest in the property. In order to do so she would have to establish an interest in the property under the Trusts of Land and Appointment of Trustees 1996. If she has not done any of those things I mentioned and there are not loans from her to you or any children of the relationship then she would not be entitled to make a claim under the Act.


Unmarried partners have only very limited rights.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. You will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,


Thomas and other UK Family Law Specialists are ready to help you