How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I ran from away my husband 40 years ago approx, I have now

Resolved Question:

I ran from away my husband 40 years ago approx, I have now been living with my partner for 33years and decided we would like to get married, i still live in fear of trying to make any kind of contact with him, so really just wondering if there is any way of finding out if he is still alive, or just maybe he might have divorced me and remarried.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for you question.

You would probably know if you were divorced because you should have received a copy of the divorce petition. Judges only dispense with service upon you in exceptional circumstances, if he could not trace you then its a possibility. Google "hmcs decree absolute search", this will tell how to search the register of decree absolutes.

In order to search for him you can instruct an enquiry agent to do this covertly on your behalf. Google"enquiry agents" including the area where you think he will most likely be and contact them. They are not that expensive but pin them down on their fees before instructing.

You will need an address for him at which your divorce petition can be served, if you do in fact need to divorce.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so.that I am rewarded for my time. You will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards

Thomas and other UK Family Law Specialists are ready to help you