How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7609
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am travelling throughout Europe at the moment ( I am retired

Customer Question

I am travelling throughout Europe at the moment ( I am retired ) and my long term partner has also just retired. We wish to marry in the Ukraine. In order for me to obtain a none impediment certificate local council officials in the UK have informed me that I must present myself in person at the council offices. Is there any way that I can avoid returning to the UK to do this. I am a British national and still pay UK tax. I draw Uk state pension and a small military pension.......I do not want to break off my travelling and incur the expense of returning to the UK at the moment.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.


Thanks for your question.


I regret to say that it is not possible for one person to attend the Registry office on behalf of another in order to obtain a Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage. One would usually make an appointment and take photographic proof of identity (eg. Passport) and address (utility bill or council tax demand/invoice) and then the CNI would be provided


You should though contact the British Embassy or consulate nearest to where you are to marry and ask them to provide you with their details on how to apply for a CNI from abroad. You usually can and they should be able to provide you with the appropriate application forms. You should also check with the Ukrainian authorities whether they accept a CNI obtained in this way, whether they require it to be legalised by the UK Legalisation Office and/or whether they require it to be translated in to the local language by the Institute of Linguists.


Sorry it could not be better news. If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. You will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,


Thomas and other UK Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Power of Attorney ? ( brother in UK )
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.


Thanks for you accept.


I've never heard of anyone doing that. It would be for the Registry to decide, but I should think there would be issues with your brother being able to certifiy that the copy passport which he would take their would is a genuine copy of yours because, presumably, it is with you. It's just about possible they may accept him attending with a POA and a notarised copy of your passport (which you would have to arrange), but, as I say, it is the registry office's prerogative whether or not to accept this.


I doubt it I'm afraid.


Good luck.


Thanks again.


Related UK Family Law Questions