How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I lived with my partner for 3 years in his home. He has now

Resolved Question:

I lived with my partner for 3 years in his home. He has now decided that we should break up. I have to return to my parents with no savings, as all my earnings went into maintaining and feeding the household. Were do i stand.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.



DId you pay more in expenses than you would have paid in private rented accommodation?


Did you spend capital amounts on improving the property and it's value?

Do you have children?


Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Yes all my earning went into the home. I have no savings. I bought mainly material things for the home and I had the kitchen floor tiled. My partner did not pay for any of these material things or home improvements.


We have no children

Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.



The position is that where you are not named on the registered title to the property then you will only be able to claim an interest in the property where you have paid significantly more in rent/household expenses than you would otherwise have paid in private rented accommodation and/or have spent capital sums on making improvements to the property which have materially increased the value of the property.


If you think this is the case then you may consider contacting a local family solicitor for a initial consultation so that you can provide them with the specific amounts you have spent on the property and they can then advise you of the merits of your case.


If they think you have a case then they would contact your partner advising them that you are considering making an application to court to claim an interest but that you would be willing to discuss settlement to avoid this.


These applications can be quite expensive so it's generally better to reach a settlement if at all possible.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. You will be free to ask follow up questions.


Kind regards,


Thomas and other UK Family Law Specialists are ready to help you