How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7602
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My partner has moved in with me. We are seeing how things

Resolved Question:

My partner has moved in with me. We are seeing how things go and will look to buy a property together later on, if all goes well.
My question now 1 does my partner have any rights to the equity in my home. He buys food but with the exception of the phone bill pays no bills. His reason for the phone in his name came about as he was under contract to pay €200 if he cancelled his contract!

2. I have a new puppy and yesterday he took it upon himself to insure the dog. I was in the bath at the time and agreed it was a good idea, but does he have any rights now over my new puppy.?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.



Thanks for your question.


If your partner is not named as registered proprietor of the property then the position is that unless your partner has either contributed to the initial financing of the purchase of the property, or spent capital sums on improvements to the property which has increased its value or paid more in rent/expenses than she would otherwise have paid in private rented accommodation then she would not be advised to consider making a claim against the equity in the property.


I assume the phone bill/food contributions do not come anywhere near what is required in the above.


Such an application is quite expensive too.


Property you owned solely prior to the relationship remains your own. Property jointly bought during the relationship is jointly owned and should be split.


The puppy would therefore remain yours.


If the amounts he pays is to differ from the above then you may consider executing a cohabitation agreement drafted by a solicitor. This would confirm what you are to contribute but also confirm that he is not to acquire an interest in the property by virtue of his living there. It would cost around £300 +VAT, but if your situation is not to depart very far from the above then he would not be able to claim against the equity in your property.


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. You will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,


Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Just to confirm. My partner would not have any ownership rights to my puppy even though he has now set up a plan to insure the puppy.
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.



No, a unilateral act (such as this) carried out by a non-owner does not grant them legal title to, or an interest in, your puppy or anything else for that matter.



Presumably you also have proof that the puppy is yours in any event.


Trust this clarifies, if so please click accept.

Kind regards,


Edited by Tom on 2/24/2011 at 10:03 AM EST
Thomas and other UK Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Family Law Questions