How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My partner left his wife for me over 4 years ago but theyre

This answer was rated:

My partner left his wife for me over 4 years ago but they're not divorced yet as they cannot come to an agreement over the marital home. They have 2 children still living at home, both in their twentys. My ex husband and I have recently sold our jointly owned property and I have my share of the equity along with a share of my late father's estate. My partner is looking to start divorce proceedings, can his wife make a claim on my assets?



Thanks for your question.


Only the matrimonial assets of the marriage are subject to settlement negotiations and proceedings at Court. Your assets (ie. the capital sum from the sale of the house and your inheritance) are your own and provided this remains the case then she will not be able to make a claim on your assets.


It would seem sensible, in order to avoid an potential confusion, to keep your assets in a bank account on which you are solely named and not held jointly with your partner.




If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,


Thomas and 2 other UK Family Law Specialists are ready to help you