UK Family Law

UK Family Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

UK Family Law

Hi my boyfriend is hoping to move into my house this year we

Customer Question
will both be 54yrs old...
Hi my boyfriend is hoping to move into my house this year we will both be 54yrs old. Will he have any claim to my home? he is not putting any money into it

many thanks
Lynda
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: UK Family Law
1/20/2011
Solicitor: Thomas, Solicitor replied 6 years ago
Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor

Hi Lynda,

Is he to contribute rent?

Is he to contribute directly to the mortgage?

Will he spend money on carrying out improvements to the property that will increase it's value?

Tom

he will give me a sum of money each month which will go towards bills, food. I do not have a mortgage. No he will not put any money into the property to improve its value

thanks

Okay.

In that case you should make sure that the amount he gives you each month is not more than the amount he would otherwise have to pay were he to rent privately.

Provided this is the case, no capital improvements to the property are made by him, there are no children of the relationship and you do not take a loan of money from him then he would not be advised that he would have a claim on your property. Any application to establish a claim on the property is a very expensive application to make in any event.

Provided the reality of his occupation of the property does not differ from the above then you will be fine.

A cohabitation agreement setting out agreed arrangement for his occupation would be a sensible thing to do. It would detail his occupation, confirm that he is not to acquire an interest in the property and set out what each party's responsibilities/rights are (eg. household expenses, items acquired during the cohabitation, what is to happen following separation). It would cost in the region of £300.00 +VAT for solicitor to prepare for you.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. You will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom

Hi

I am unsure about the £22 to pay I thought it was £2, or did i read it incorrectly

many thanks

lynda attias

I don't deal with billing I'm afraid; I'm a solicitor and an expert here.

It would not be £2 though, so I can only assume it was £22.00

If you are happy I would be grateful if you would click accept.

Kind regards,

Tom

Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Thomas
Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor