How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, Me and my ex have broken up, we live separately and we have a 5 months old

This answer was rated:


Me and my ex have broken up, we live separately and we have a 5 months old son together. Now she has decided that she wants to change the surname. I don't want this to happen, what are my options, how could i prevent this? We are not married. But the boy has my surname and i am the father.

Thank you, Olaf

Hi Olaf,


Are you named on the birth certificate of the child as the father?



Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Tom,

Yes, my name is XXXXX XXXXX birth certificate as the father of the child.


Hi Olaf,


As your name is XXXXX XXXXX child's birth certificate you have what is termed "parental responsibility" for the child. In order to legally change a child's name a change of name deed (ie. a deed poll) would have to be executed by all persons holding parental responsibility.

This means that she would not be able to legally change the child's name without your consent. If she was minded to, she could apply to Court for an order that the child's name be changed but this would be fairly expensive and you would also receive notice of the application and be at liberty to defend your position



If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I am rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.


Kind regards,




Thomas and other UK Family Law Specialists are ready to help you