How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7612
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I left New Zealand and my son under strained circumstances

This answer was rated:

I left New Zealand and my son under strained circumstances to to go Europe about 21 years ago, when my son was 4 years old - I paid some Child Maintenance whilst living in the UK - my son is now 22 years old, we have no contact and he now resides in London. Would I ever be able to return to NZ or would I be blacklisted?



Are you asking whether your not having paid child maintenance for your son would preclude you from applying for a visitor's visa or other more permanent form of visa?


Are there any criminal charges/convictions outstanding?


I should caution that this is a UK forum and there is no NZ law section on this site.


Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes that is correct - would this preclude me from applying for a visitors visa to New Zealand? i have already done some business travelling all over the World but have not been back to NZ.



Do you have any criminal convictions here or in NZ?


Do you know if any civil claim has been made against you in NZ?


Customer: replied 6 years ago.
There has been no criminal convictions here or in NZ
As far as I'm aware there has been no civil claim made against me in NZ. There was only the civil claim made in the UK from his mother about 3 years ago to pay some outstanding CSA maintenance which I did.



The UK is one of the visa-waiver countries for NZ. Meaning that if you are only to visit for a period of 6 months or less you would not need to apply for a visa. You would however need to show evidence of 1) travel tickets or evidence of onward travel arrangements and 2) evidence of funds for maintenance or of sponsorship (essentially showing you have enough money to accommodate/support yourself there during your stay.


Like in the UK a visa would be granted at Customs, but these things are always discretionary. In the UK the immigration officials only exercise their discretion if they are aware of serious outstanding criminal charges or that they suspect the person will seek to stay in the UK permanently.


I doubt that the child maintenance issue would prevent you from being issued a visa. To be safe I would advise that you apply for a visitor's visa from the NZ embassy here before you travel, notwithstanding that the UK is a visa waiver country. You can contact them and explain your position stating that you have settled the dispute but are just prudent in nature and do not wish to travel without having a visa. They should accommodate you in this regard. THe UKBA does in similar circumstances.



If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,


Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is there any way to find out if any civil claim may have been made against me in NZ without my knowledge? (I think this unlikely but would be useful to verify before applying for a visa)



If you google new zealand credit check, there will be providers for new zealand. Any judegment, I presume, would be noted against your file in the same way it would in the UK.


Hope this clarifies, if so please click accept.

Kind regards,


Thomas and 3 other UK Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Family Law Questions